Are you searching for a unique Aquaculture opportunity? AquacultureTalent would love to hear from you! AquacultureTalent is actively searching for a new Aquaculture Manager with RAS experience, giving amazing candidates the chance to join the next generation of aquaponic farms in New York. Our client goal is to make sustainable greens and seafood as accessible as conventionally grown product is today, all across the US.
We are looking for a person to help our client operate their indoor controlled environment farm and recirculating aquaculture system. The Aquaculture Manager will be responsible for operating and maintaining a 10,000 gallon Hybrid Striped Bass RAS. While this may be a relatively small scale in the RAS industry, this will be a pivotal period of development as we will write and execute key SOPs (feeding, grading, harvesting) to achieve our desired FCR and Costs of Goods Sold before we expand to a much larger facility in late 2021. A successful candidate will be able to handle all fish husbandry, from nursery to harvest, as well as train and delegate farmers that do not necessarily have aquaculture experience to do so as well. The candidates looking to fill the Aquaculture Manager position are active, detail oriented, clean, able to adapt to evolving farm conditions, and find pride in providing wholesome nutritious food to the New York City community.
- Manage operation of state-of-the-art Recirculating Aquaculture System.
- Direct team members in aquaculture operations and cleaning.
- Maintain high levels of food safety and animal welfare, following and developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Agricultural Practices (GAP), and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) protocols.
- Manage the delivery process, which includes invoicing, preparing produce for delivery, and coordinating with our delivery team.
- Analyze water chemistry to manage nutrient levels and balance water quality.
- Care for fish from early life to harvest, track their growth, and monitor changing environmental conditions.
- Monitor the farm for diseases and pests utilizing Integrated Pest Management practices.
- Manage facility level inventory and supply chains for farming and aquaculture operations.
- Conduct general maintenance, system operation, and minor repairs to keep operations running smoothly.
- Assist in horticulture operations including seeding, harvesting, washing, packaging, and post-harvest cleaning when needed.
- 2+ years working at a RAS facility.
- Direct experience monitoring and feeding fish.
- Able to take direction and ownership of delegated tasks.
- Comfortable with handling fish, agricultural materials, and getting dirty.
- Physically fit and able, reliable, detail-oriented, organized, hard-working, self-motivated.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, can work effectively as part of a team.
- Maintain high standards of hygiene to promote food safety.
- Maintain a reliable form of transportation to and from the farm.
- Proficiency with computer programs such as Slack, Google Suite, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Authorized to work in USA.
- Degree or training in a relevant field such as Agriculture, Aquaculture, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental or Life Sciences, etc.
- High school diploma or G.E.D. Certificate.
- Experience using and maintaining livestock growth charts.
- Professional or academic experience around plants and/or animals.
- Ability to build Mass Balance models.
For the right candidate we offer:
- A challenging position unique company.
- A work environment characterized by great commitment and a strong commitment to achieving results for both our employees, customers, and the company.
- A competitive remuneration package.