Are you searching for a once-in-a-lifetime Aquaculture opportunity? AquacultureTalent would love to hear from you! AquacultureTalent is actively searching for a new VP of operations, giving qualified candidates the chance to join the world’s first producer of true ocean-raised striped bass!
Our client is the world’s first and only producer of true ocean-raised striped bass. Based in Mexico, is the largest marine aquaculture operation in the country and is committed to the improvement and propagation of sustainable best aquaculture practices. Our client has been the recipient of numerous certifications and awards including 4-stars from Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP), Whole Foods Responsibly Farmed, and is in process with Seafood Watch.
The VP of Operations will provide executive leadership and take direct ownership of the nursery, hatchery, farm, feed, and maintenance functions at the company. We are looking for an aquaculture veteran with experience in sea hatcheries who is excited to accelerate the growth of an aquaculture business in a new species in a geography relatively new to aquaculture.
- Manage the nursery, hatchery, farm, feed, and maintenance departments
- Set and manage budgets for each department in conjunction with the relevant department heads
- Create a scalable process and metrics-driven systems that ensure consistency and continuous improvement
- Create and align the organization to a comprehensive production plan and bio-plan
- Mentor employees (including training, motivating and career pathing) to create a self-sustainable domestic workforce
- Assist the CEOs in organizational commitments including being the internal “face” of the leadership team
- Participate in expansion activities (investments, acquisitions, corporate alliances etc.)
- Bachelors degree in Business Administration or a scientific field relevant to aquaculture
- MBA or Masters / PhD in Aquaculture is a plus
- Must be completely fluent (spoken / written) in Spanish
- Proficient in English
- 10+ years of managing open-ocean aquaculture operations in fish (shellfish or on-land aquaculture experience is less-desired)
- Must have managed different areas of the open-ocean aquaculture value chain including hatchery, nursery and farm operations
- Managed operations of at least 10,000 tons of production
- Six-Sigma / Lean operations experience highly desired
- Proven track record of setting and hitting budgets
- Has created and dynamically updated a bio-plan and production plan that is utilized across a company
- Drive a metrics-driven culture from the front-line to department managers
- Experience presenting results to executives and board of directors
- Experience managing operations that utilize the latest aquaculture technology advancements including but not limited to ERP systems, feed automation, sorting /sizing, fish health, etc
- Proven experience managing organizations over 75 people
For the right candidate we offer:
- A challenging and independent position.
- A work environment characterized by great commitment and a strong commitment to achieving results for both our employees, customers, and the company.
- A competitive remuneration package
We are aware that people are the main asset of our company, our team makes us different.
Our client way of valuing those who make our successes possible every day is to make our client company an excellent place to work. Focus is on the talent of it is employees and promote a culture of learning based on continuous training and professional development.